Ravenswing Sword (was: Obtaining a weapon...)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:52:26 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > > But does doing a Godplane quest automatically mean facing
> > > adverseries in the w6+ range?
>
> No, but Humakt *is* a being of the w6+ level (At least w8) which means that
> if you are facing a being that gave *him* trouble, it better be up in that
> range as well.

I'm not quite sure I see it like that. Reading the myth, it doesn't really sound like the wolf had a real chanse against Humakt. The myth isn't really about fighting, it's about Humakt gaining another aspect of Death under his control. Well, that's how it reads to me anyway.

> So the wolf pup better be a w7 (relatively easily beatable
> by a w8) or better. If Humakt went up against the Vargfreki as statted in
> the book (13w4 max ability with all augments added in), he'd get an
> automatic Crit-Fumble *every round*. No contest, game over.

There is that. The power of Vargfreki is definitely in the "power of a Hero" class. Parhaps the original quest is with Humakt and Telmor then?

> > So there's your numbers, and I agree that a W4 opponent should be
> > reachable by a determined and prepared *group* of heroes.
>
> It depends on your group. I know that there are groups out there that would
> sneer at a "mere" 10w4 challenge. Individual heroes in those groups would be
> able to get to 10w4 relatively easily.

The Household of Death deciples are personally in the 10w3 range before augments. When doing a quest supported by the prince himself and pretty much the whole Humakt cult of Sartar, I'd say they can reach w5 - w6 pretty easily.

But I think I'm starting to see where the problem in my thinking lies. Ravenswing is _not_ the sword of Humakt. Humakt needs Raven to guide him to death, to be his death-sense, not a weapon.

So the quest to obtain Ravenswing the Sword is the quest of Hei Chi, the EWF Humakti-hero. He obtained Ravenswing, a 10w3 power Godling to inhabit a magical weapon (much like is done with wyters). The heropath that Gerlef (the 1600 ST Heortling humakti deciple) followed is the path as forged by Hei Chi.

But!

I still think it can be a Godlevel quest. It has just been an experimental heroquest on the Godplane. Hei Chi was not Humakt, he was Deathdrake Blackwing (definitely meaning a dragon, not a duck), a thane of Humakt.

Voila! A God-plane quest, but questing among the lesser godlings, not the biggest players.

Does this sound wrong to you guys?

        -Adept