Re: The danger of googling

From: Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:36:20 -0000

Ahem...I know all about the dangers of googling, thanks. I don't think I said that what I cut and pasted was accurate - I even used quotation marks and stated it was the result of googling. No "relying" on internet sources there. I just assumed that everyone here would know to apply their "it's the result of googling" filter without anyone needing to comment on it.

Of course metals (a...ahem...commodity) were an important reason for invading Britain, as well as it being the edge of the known world, a place to invade, somewhere where it wouldn't be difficult to improve on the previous comical attempt and so on.

Equally, I'm sure this island can't have been that important in the grand scheme of things and that the African breadbaskets were rather more so.

I have only been trying to pick up on Jane's idea of some commodities being of interest. If something in life other than commodities may act as a motivation, well, ummm, of course, but it isn't really relevant.

Cheers,

Sam.