Re: Yinkin; Initiate to Humakt *and* Initiate to Orlanth?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:53:10 -0800

Bryan wrote of Yinkin

> when you look at the 'standard' feats under
> his affinities, they look more like those of more 'human' type being
> who has alynx like properties.

Rather like his worshippers, eh?

> I was a little
> surprised to notice that in Yinkin's "standard" feats there is
> no "see by starlight/alynx eyes/whatever" type feat to let a hero see
> in the dark like an Alynx. Would that be because this sort of sight
> isn't one of Yinkin's properties? Or is it just not listed and you
> could be expected to improvise it without excessive penalty (but
> under which affinity? Hunting? Wilderness survival?). The same would
> apply to a lesser extent to hearing.

Firstly, they can get any alynx stuff they want if they know the secret. (OK, this is rare.)

Secondly, it seems reasonable to improvise some of these, for example Hunt at Night could be a Hunting feat.

> (for that matter, you'd almost think Yinkin worshippers would get
> a "curious" trait!)

It's probably a virtue (i.e. initiates and devotees should express it).

Santo

> I'm not opposed to dual-initiation in my
> game, but considering that Humakt cut away his ties to the Storm
> Tribe to purify himself, I'm unsure whether the Cult of Humakt would
> accept someone who still follows the ways of the Storm.

I'm not opposed to dual initiation either, but wouldn't allow this one for the reasons you state.

> what's the Heortling position
> on Kinstrife when the individual killed was possessed or maddened?

I don't think there are really extenuating circumstances in Heortling law. The only way there would be is if the victim was responsible for the possession, which isn't an extenuating circumstance per se, but a counter-charge which could help balance things out.

But I do think it's something you can absolve yourself of (albeit with difficulty).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein