Re: Orlanthi gods in the Lunar Empire

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:13:56 -0500

On 21 Mar 2005 at 7:49, Paul Andrew King wrote:

> The Ernaldan Earth pantheon seems to be accepted, and continues to be
> worshipped.

But not quite the same. After all, it seems there is a different great mother earth goddess in Peloria. It would also depend on what the mythic cycle seems to be. After all, in some versions, Ernalda left with Orlanth, the great rebel. (Although when one looks at Esrolia's Ernalda, I suspect it is quite possible to find in Peloria that Ernalda never really left her love for Yelm.)

> With regard to Lhankhor Mhy and Issaries I would have thought that
> either the established Solar Gods (Buserian and Lokarnos) or the
> Lunar equivalents (Irippi Ontor and Etyries) would have had far wider
> acceptance. Not only are there political advantages in belonging to
> cults more involved with the Empire, but the cults and their magic
> should be better oriented to the more civilised setting. Generally
> speaking I would view both Issaries and Lhankhor Mhy as largely
> redundant within the Empire and only commonly worshipped in recently
> conquered lands. Issaries ought to survive where there is
> significant trade with Orlanthi people outside the Empire.

I'm pretty much in agreement here. Note though, that Etyries is described as the daughter of Issaries, implying he was pretty well known. Lankhor Mhy works pretty well in cities as well, I would think, but Buserian pretty much has it covered. Certainly there seem to be no LM Great Libraries up further than Tarsh, so it seems he didn't spread very far into Solar territory. (Despite being married to a goddess of Light who was clearly one of Yelm's subjects.)

> Yinkin might be worshipped in lands where alynxes are found -
> especially where they have a place in human life.

Makes sense to me.

> I'm not sure how Chalana Arroy relates to Erissa - they might be
> accepted as different names for the same Goddess.

I've got to lean to the they are almost certainly the same goddess theory. (Although oddly enough, the God Learners didn't succeed in getting the names to fuse.) Considering even Orlanthi myths include CA as sometimes being the daughter of Yelm (As well as lots of other gods) and the winning her from the Fire Tribe heroquest that can be seen and the fact that she is always described as neutrally helping all gods, etc...

Mind you, in her myths as mentioned in Storm Tribe, it is noted that she was one of many powers that were healing, but she was the last one (which is why she went on the LB quest). So maybe Erissa can be another one of these. But the overlap in attitude and function is a little too perfect in this case, I'd go with it being the same goddess. (Only Erissa never joined the Storm Tribe.)

> Elmal and Heler should be acceptable

Well, the Elmal myths all have him rejecting the Fire tribe. And since in Dragon Pass you've got all these Elmal vs Yelmalio problems, I suspect that Elmal isn't seen very far up north.

> Eurmal is probably widely unacceptable just for being Eurmal.

But present nonetheless. You can not like or accept the Trickster, but the Trickster is always there. If not Eurmal, there is someone similar in the Solar Pantheon. There has to be.

> Humakt is being discussed already.

And interestingly, it seems there is no Solar Humakt. There is Terminatus. If Humakt came with the Carmanians from the west, then it seems that Humakt (along with many Orlanthi) went up north through Ralios and into Fronela. (Basically everywhere the Solar Empire wasn't holding civilization together got populated with little tribes of Orlanthi it seems. From north to south and west until they hit the Malkioni. Not east so much, though.) So Humakt is around, but in the northwest and the south east mostly. And he's being pushed out by the Lunars in his wargod role anyway. (Which makes me wonder what the Lunar god of Death is, or if they even have one since they are so into a death/rebirth cycle. Death seems controlled by the moon.)

> Urox is unacceptable because of his violence and hatred of Chaos.
> Without clear place in the Empire (as Shargash has) such Gods are
> unwelcome.

Urox seems heavily influenced by Prax and the Wastes, so I don't see him either. As you say, Shargash serves the role, and the Chaos issue is there, too.

LC