RE: Re: Gloranthan Fiction

From: paul_at_...
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:51:43 +0000

janewilliams20_at_... wrote:

> Paul Andrew King
>
> > The good news is that I'm pretty sure that it
> > doesn't matter for fan
> > websites, so long as the rules for the Informal
> > License are met.
> > Unless Appendix A says something different, fan
> > websites have very
> > few restrictions - and none of them say that
> > Derivative Material is
> > treated any different from Original Material.
>
> But as far as I can see the section that says
> "The types of use that are considered to incorporate
> or make derivative use of Proprietary
> Material include, but are not limited to:...
>
> ....To substantially expand previous Proprietary
> Material (such as a description of a person, place,
> creature, entity, event, or object)."
>
> doesn't say or imply "except if it's on a web site"
> does it? Nor can I see any reason why it should - if
> this is a danger of causing copyright problems, then
> the means of publication hardly matters. If this is a
> reasonable limit to impose, then fine, it needs
> imposing, not sneaking around.

This is a "yes, but". Yes, the definition of "Derivative Material" does not rely on the publishing medium. But, the Informal License - as I read it - gives you permission to publish Derivative Material. And the Informal License requires no prior approval. (Strictly speaking if you wanted to publish original material - by the legal definition - you don't need a license at all.)

(I will admit that I am confident rather than absolutely certain of my reading - and I have asked that this particular point is made explicit)