Re: Orlanthi gods in the Lunar Empire

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:07:11 -0500

On LM and libraries

On 29 Mar 2005 at 10:05, Nick Eden wrote:

> Yes, but.
>
> I think you're making a mistake in your understanding of how Lhankhor
> Mhy and Issaries exist, at least within the Heortling culture, which
> is the one we know best.
>
> In a few places Lhankhor Mhy is the god of libraries, but generally
> he's the slightly weird guy in the chief's hall that knows the Law and
> can argue the hind leg off a donkey.

Really? Given how rare LM is (all those gods in ST are supposed to be a very small part of the population) and that his worship as described in ST says specifically that initiates go off to the temples (which are libraries) it makes me think that he isn't very often seen in the role you are expressing.

(Mind you, the default version is Lhankhor Knowing, which is the one we see as lawspeaker to clans.)

> In a few places Issaries may be the god of markets, but generally he's
> the guy you turn to to deal with other clans and get rid of the stuff
> you have too much of in favour of what you need.

This I agree with.

> Both have a role within a tribal clannish structure. Etyries probably
> has a role within the more backwards parts of the empire like
> Talastar, but Issaries will be there because Issaries' place is within
> a tribe.

But Issaries also has a defined role as a middleman.

> Busserin has no role within that kind of culture. He's the god of
> clerks and book keepers. Fine for a solar city culture, but no chance
> of him having a role in the wilds.

That I agree with completely. Irippi is a bit more of a toss up, in my view.

LC