Re: Re: Language

From: Norbert Franz <norbert.franz1_at_...>
Date: 31 Mar 2005 05:51 GMT

"markmohrfield" <markmohrfield_at_...> wrote:

> The old RQ2 book stated that "was imported from the
> region of the Hendrikei in the Holy Country...
> and they still speak it there as well. The RQ3
> supplement Glorantha Crucible of the Hero Wars states
> that Sartarite is also called Heortlander.

When that topic came up in a game I ran in 2000, I explained that the Sartarite in northern Dragon Pass and the Heortlander language spoken near the coast were at no point more dissimilar than modern-day German and the German spoken in Austria, probably less so.

> > Tarsh fits in how? (I see it being close to Sartarite
> > perhaps, but distant from Esrolian.)
> >

> GCotHW says that Sartarite and Esrolian are part of the
> Manirian sub-family of the Theyalan languages, while
> Tarshite is part of the Pelorian sub-familiy of the
> same.

Absolutely correct. Thank you for that, Mark. I was going to bring up the language-table info from Genertela: CotHW (1988) myself.

So, the Theyalan language family is pretty widespread throughout Genertela, with many patches across the continent: the greater regional units of Fronela, Ralios, Peloria and Maniria all have various patches on the map where Theyalan languages are spoken by sizable communities.
Theyalan is spread out pretty much like Indo-European languages in the real world. That is about the broadest comparison I can think of right now.

IIRC, among the 10 Homelands in HeroQuest, the related tongues are:

The others are languages unrelated to the rest. The Puma People's ability of "Speak Puma" is certainly an animal language, no different from what normal pumas sound like to each other (hisses and growls).