Re: Monkey Pay-Per-View Porn

From: Jennifer Geard <geard_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:59:13 +1200

Why do human females have breasts?

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:14, Light Castle wrote:
> Well, that's the Demond Morris view. (The Naked Ape, which I've just given
> away as a book.)

Which is not held in the highest regard...

Current thinking seems to be that we don't know for certain, but it might well be a co-evolution with the changes to the face shape of human babies in order to allow them to suckle without smothering. Those changes in face shape are themselves the subject of a range of theories including a relationship between jaw musculature and the expanding cranium.

Of course this is what I can remember from hurriedly-scanned articles, I can't find citations in a hurry, and a Google search of the obvious terms isn't particularly useful, so take it for what it's worth. Just don't assume it's all about displaced bottoms.

Cheers,
  Jennifer

--
Jennifer Geard