Re: Brastalos

From: Nick <nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:50:01 +0100

Jennifer Geard wrote:

>Assuming that TR is canon, p. 88 states:
>"Brastalos. Goddess of the Still Air."
>

>>I think it's a goof as Calm Air has positive connotations whereas
>>Still Air contains the sense of stagnation. That said, this
>>goof has a long pedigree in the sources.
>>

>It sounds like it. The write up in ST does suggest that Orlanthi sometimes get
>a bit grumpy about Brastalos calming their storms, but that she's really the
>calm at the heart of Orlanth. That's the tension I think is interesting: half
>the family will want to marry the child off as fast as possible, while the
>other half will -- for various different reasons -- see her as a treasure to
>be held on to.

I can buy that.

I have a feeling that at least some of the Molanni/Calm Air you will have found on glorantha.com will be from my deliberately contrary vision of deranged Molanni worshippers who think that Orlanth is the villain and she's the victim. As such they co-opt positive concepts like Calm regardless of who the barbarians imagine may have such things.

Still, I suspect that most peoiple wouldn't draw any distinction between Calm and Still when it comes to the Air, it's a subtley known only to people who study the air in detail.