RE: Some clan herobands

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:47:03 -0500

>From: "Jeff Richard" <richaje_at_...>

>I don't know if anyone is interested, but here are some examples of clan or
>tribal Orlanthi "herobands". These are two clan "herobands" of the
>Orlmarthing clan.

Neat stuff, Jeff.

I have a somewhat tangential question. Just how many herobands is a group likely to have, do you think? Maybe better put, what percentage of groups have an associated heroband?

It seems to me to be largely unadressed, but that's highly problematic. Because herobands, if common, would seem to me to make for a lot of interesting social pressures. I mean, we hear about intra-clan politics a lot, but how much of that is affected by heroband affiliations?

How many herobands is the average Orlanthi, for example, a member of? .1? 1.5? 8?

The fact that it's not commented on, says to me that they're actually somewhat rare. But then we know that, in fact, every Orlanthi is a member of his clan's heroband, no? With Wyter as guardian? So that's at least one. The term heroband itself seems misleading, unless all Orlanthi are heroes. That is we can't assume that it's only mighty warriors and such that are in herobands. They seem more like special interest groups to me.

But that leads to a potentially infinite proliferation. Already a women in the Orlmarthing clan might be in three bands, the clan band, the Orane band as an "influential woman", and in the Ridgeleapers as a prominent Raider. Probably few in all three, but a few are in at least two.

Yet, when we see write-ups, do we see such affiliations enumerated? Occasionally, but as often they're absent from character write-ups. When it seems to me that such affiliations would be telling in many cases as to the character's motivations in certain situations.

So, thoughts on this? Not just for Orlanthi, but for Gloranthan's in general? Do people generally max out on their time committments in joining organizations like herobands, or do most have some "freetime?" Are herobands like ones to do with clan affiliations assumed? If so, I have to admit that I've forgotten to include the bonuses for guardians at times, because it didn't occur to me at that moment that they were part of such an organization.

Thoughts?

Mike