Re: Re: Runes - what do they mean now?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:13:18 +1200

At 03:53 AM 4/15/2005 -0400, you wrote:

>The God Learners lowered
>their own god to just one rune among the others?

No and yes. It depends whether you are talking about them in their classic phase (Invisible God above everything else) or in their decadent phase.

>and a couple of spirits seem to
>have made it. (Subere, who I think is a Great Spirit, and Daka Fal.)

Daka Fal is really only a Praxian Spirit and Gods of Glorantha substituted Ancestor Worship instead (which still doesn't fit as there are theistic ancestor worshippers as well as animists). Horned Man is a Great Spirit but I'm less than sure about Subere (her cult didn't have any Shamans in Runequest).

Much more important is the fact that these runes will have echoes in more than one realm of magic. Kolat for instance can be seen as the Storm Rune in the spirit world (and reconciling his worship with Orlanth's is an exercise best left to God Learners or mystics).

>Seems I'm going to have to rethink some things. I thought things
>were far less clear cut and simple than that. I don't suppose this
>is one of those things we can throw on the heap as "God Learner
>heresy" and not have to accept as a truth of Glorantha?

The God Learner heresy didn't work very well with some Pantheons so it's not complete truth. In some cases, it may be misleading and there are cases in which cults deny what the God Learners say.

--Peter Metcalfe