Knowing the arts of the Enemy

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:43:21 -0000

How likely are Heortlings to recognise a piece of (previously unknown) magic as a sorcerous spell as opposed to just assuming it is, say, some new common magic talent?

I'm not so much concerned with Lhankor Mhy sages, Renval Maldekbane followers (Storm Tribe page 241), or people who have had significant exposure to sorcery. I'm thinking about the average cottar who has hardly ever left his tula in the course of his life.

I suppose another way of putting this is to wonder if Theism, Animism, Sorcery, and Common Magic are fundamentally distinct and recognisable magics or do they all just boil down to seemling arbitrary combinations of (dare I say it) verbal, somantic and (possibly) material components?

Thanks,