Re: Hero Points

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:59:45 +0100

Mike Holmes:

>If one is stingy with
>them, obviously the tendency is that proportionally more will be used for
>bumping than for advancement. If players have a ton of them, then they can't
>find good places to use as many in play, and end up finding ways of using
>them for advancement - even when they're not all that interested in
>advancement otherwise.

FWIW, my experience is the exact opposite. When the narrator is 'stingy,' proportionally more HPs are used for advancement than for bumping. 'Throwing away' your hero points on a bump becomes something to be avoided, and you hoard them for advancement as much as you can, bumping only when you're in immanent danger of disaster otherwise. Whereas, if loads of them are given out, players are more likely to use them to bump, because, hey, they might as well.

Which is not to say your experience is somehow 'wrong', just that its not necessarily definitive.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic