RE: Re: Hero Points

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:56:34 -0500

>From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>

>FWIW, my experience is the exact opposite. When the narrator is 'stingy,'
>proportionally more HPs are used for advancement than for bumping.
>'Throwing away' your hero points on a bump becomes something to be avoided,
>and you hoard them for advancement as much as you can, bumping only when
>you're in immanent danger of disaster otherwise. Whereas, if loads of them
>are given out, players are more likely to use them to bump, because, hey,
>they might as well.

>Which is not to say your experience is somehow 'wrong', just that its not
>necessarily definitive.

Egads, no. Hardly definitive. Just what I've seen.

Anyhow, I've seen what you describe, too, actually. I was saying that all things being equal that the proportions tend to get more radical when there are less HP. So given a player who likes to powerbuild, yeah, sure they'll save them all for development. As opposed to the player who, say, likes over the top action who will spend them all on bumps.

Generally this is why I moved to more and more HP. The more players have, the more they tend to feel more comfortable with deciding either way with them. They tend to get less radical either way. However, with too many now, there's another problem with an embarassment of riches. So I'm going to pare back slightly until, hopefully, I find a sweetspot that seems to affect most players such that they feel that the HP are valuable, but that they can spend them either way when the feel like it. I hope that sweetspot exists.

Mike