Re: Raiding for Hostages

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:38:38 -0000

> Anyway, what I really wanted to comment on was the
> lengths you're going to to get Ferdie back. When
> all's said and done, they pulled a successful cattle
> raid on you. How did you justify upping the
> retaliation to a kidnapping? I know that Ferdie's
> really magical and all, and you want to force them to
> trade him back, but wasn't that going waaay too far?
> Some of the women should have stopped you in your
> tracks! What's to stop the Greydogs from kidnapping
> them in return?

I'm the GM - so I can't speak for the players. However, initially their plan was to stage a raid on the stead of the Greydog champion and retrieve Ferdinand. However, they have had (unsuccessful) run ins with the Greydog champion before and figured they'd need to kill him and his Four Storms to pull it off. They calculated the weregild, figured this would be a feud that would bring the tribes and maybe even the Lunars in and came up with another plan.

The players view kidnapping women from a hostile clan as being not terribly dissimilar to stealing cattle from a hostile clan. The biggest concern is making sure that the negotiation of hostages for Ferdinand goes quickly and easily - and they have secured the support of their tribal king (Leika Beti) to help make the trade.

As for the women, the players cultivated key women in the clan and made sure they were on their side for the raid. Of course this had a price....

> Your GM is going to have much fun over the next
> while, because you've just earned the personal anger,
> and hatred of a powerful priestess and her whole
> family. Good luck!

I'm certainly going to have much fun with this free player gift of fun. They've accumulated a big long list of enemies that personally hate them - including the Longbrewer bloodline, the Greydog champion, and Harvar Ironfist (they were involved in the ambush that killed his brother).

Jeff