Review of Crocodile Games figures

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:31:06 -0700

Crocodiles Games
WGE 311 Asar Melee unit
WGE 142 Asar Hero
WGE 114 Priest of Horus
WGE 140 Priest of Aten
WGE 907 Warhawks Warband Starter set

I just got back from the coast, and found a parcel of goodies waiting for me.

Crocodile games (www.crocodilegames.com) produces an ancient Egyptian fantasy wargame called "Wargods of Aegyptus" (You can tell it's fantasy 'cause they spell 'Egypt' strangely.).

The Asar are the humans of the world of Aegyptus, and I have been wanting some of these figures for over a year. Well, it was my birthday, and I had some money accumulated, so..

The Asar melee unit is lovely - ten figures (eight rank & file, a standard bearer and a musician). The figures are armed with an assortment of egyptian-style swords and axes, and small shield with a sun motif on the shield boss. They wear a mix of armors, mostly scale. Headgear varies as well. They all wear the Egyptian style linen kilt, and are bare-legged and barefoot. The Standard bearer comes with a separate a standard - a winged orb with snakes. A little filing to get the ankh off the orb will allow me to put a rune up there. There are six different figures for the rank & file - I assume the mix you get is random.

The Asar Hero comes with a sprue of two weapons - he can be armed with a spear or a two-handed axe. He's armored in scale, with heavy armbands to protect his forearms and stiff shoulder protection. He wears an Egyptian linen head covering, an Egyptian kilt, and some extra fabric rather like the bottom half of a cloak or long coat.

The priest of Horus comes with a nifty little statue of a seated falcon wearing the double crown of Upper and Lower Egypt. The priest himself is bare-chested and -legged, with a large ornamental collar covering the upper parts of his chest and back. He is covered in bracelets, anklets and armrings. Bald, he stands arms akimbo and rather nose-in-the-air. He wears a long Egyptian kilt, and is armed with a heavy mace at his belt.

The priest of Aten also comes with a goody - this time it's none other than the Ark of the Covenant (or something similar enough.). This priest, too, is bare-chested, bald and bare-legged. He wears a long split wraparound kilt, rather than the Egyptian style kilt. His arms are raised to the sky as if summoning a Sunbolt, but he's looking at a point on the ground about 5 feet in front of him. He wears a different style of collar than the priest of Horus, and has a different style of mace at his belt.

The Warband starter set is comprised of a Warhawks unit (eight rank & file, standard bearer and musician), a Warhawk captain, a female "Master of Words" (magician), a Warhawk hero with an eagle, a "Harbinger of Horus" (an avatar of the god), and a limited edition "daughter of the Phoenix".

The Warhawk unit is armed with two melee weapons each - either swords or axes. They are armored in a variety of styles, again, mostly scale shirts. They all wear a hawk-faced helmet, kilt, and greaves. There are a total of six different figures for the rank & file. Unfortunately, the pack I got didn't have the Standard Bearer or musician in it, but from the pictures, the standard bearer and drummer are armored with long scale hauberks.

The Warhawk captain stands leaning on a pair of axes that seem more European than the lovely Egyptian axes everyone else carries. He wears the Warhawk helmet, Egyptian kilt, and a long feathered cloak. Unlike the rest of the unit, he's too cool to wear greaves or body armor other than a leather collar. he comes with an armor stand that holds a helmet, breast and shoulder protection, and a sheathed shortsword.

The Warhawks Hero stands with an eagle on his left fist and a sword in his other hand. He wears a more elaborate Eagle helmet, a pectoral disk on his chest (and a larger disk on his back), greaves, and a kilt.

The Master of Words is a tall, slender woman holding a scroll in one hand, and a staff topped with a winged humanoid in the other. She wears an elaborate headdress, and a long dress that leaves one breast bare. Her goody is an "eye of Horus" sculpture.

The Daughter of the phoenix is a figure you can only get by buying the Warband Starter set. She seems to be totally naked, except for a pair of "wings" attached to her arms and an eagle-headed hat or helmet. She looks like she's doing a fan dance with her wings, though I suppose you could give her the benefit of the doubt and call it "liturgical dance"...

All the normal humas stand about 30mm sole to eye. That makes them about the same size as the newer Lance & Laser figures, though they are leaner.

Finally, the Harbinger of Horus is a bit larger figure. He stands approximately 35mm Sole to eye. He wears an elaborate eagle helmet, scale armor, and a kilt. His feet are eagle claws, not human, and he has a pair of wings on his back - it's not clear if they are intended to be a part of his body, or part of his armor. He thrusts downwards with a spear held in both hands. While he is modled with both feet on the ground, I can see converting him to a leaping/flying pose.

All the figures are intended to evoke a hot climate, and the Warhawks are going to be painted up as Rinliddi, since they have a great bird motif - the Harbinger will become either a shape-changing or hero-forming hero. The regular asar will probably just become a unit of no particular origin - usable as Lunars, Pavis, or Fonritan back of beyond.

Since Crocodile games sells most figures individually, they can be used for either Roleplaying (The Warhawks hero would make a very nice RPG figure with his Eagle sidekick) or wargaming (though find yourself a good on-line discounter - the basic Rank & File figures sell for ~$3 each from Crocodile games or your local game store, Priests and heroes ~$6, Harbingers ~$10 and the units $25-30 for ten figures).

RR
- Richelieu