Re: Humakt

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:06:07 +0000

> From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
>Psychopaths are extreme emotional extroverts who do not feel that
>society's rules (or indeed, any kind of rules) need apply to them.
>Humakt's honour, and his mythical/social place as Orlanth's Champion
>show that Humakt (and thus Humakti) is not a psychopath.

Without getting technical, I don't think psychopaths can be described as "extreme emotional extroverts". The usual definition is of someone with no social conscience or moral empathy. Most of the famous case studies indicate they are ice cold, unemototional types (though they are also good at faking emotions like remorse, anger etc.).

The short-hand "psycho" seems to come from the term psychotic - someone out of touch with reality.

Humakti could be psychopaths - following their code not out of a moral or social sense, but purely out of duty. Such Humakti might end up fanatical followers of priests, godi and heroes. This would probably be rare because becoming a Humakti is an intensely deep and drastic personal decision for most people. Humakti may be cold, emotionless and so on, but more in the way of Spock (controlling very powerful emotions and channeling them via rigid code).

Thom