Re: Friday Filk: Another Viking Classic

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:35:13 +0100 (BST)

We'll have to compare ancient-ness sometime. Confused of course by my having changed direction when I reached 30. Not that I see what age has to do with knowing a song...

> These particular vikings/Wolf Pirates also produced
> the battle dirge
> 'Grizzly Peak (I was defeated you won the war)' and
> the berserker classic,
> 'I Hit You (I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do)'

No bells ringing at all as yet.

> If you're still stuck try here...
>
> http://www.abbasite.com/music/song.php?id=62

Ah. Pop music. No wonder I had no idea. Written in 1975, it says on that page. I'd have been 10 - but I wouldn't have been listening to that. Of course, if it was actually any good then it would still be being played every year since, and the listeners age would be irrelevant, like Mozart - but it's pop.

> Both of which come with full morocanth pipe band and
> baboon duck-skull
> maraccas. Then as now, no one does Prax quite like
> the Wolf Pirates...

That sounds good, but probably not office-safe.

> Then either bang you head, groan, put on some Sigur
> Ros,

some what? Googling.... an Icelandic rock group, it seems.

> or preferably all
> three at once. At leat we have a full weekend to
> recover. :)

There's that. Though I think I'd better get round to producing the MIDI of Brian Boru I've been promising myself, and finishing the variation I started last weekend that moves it into a major key and stops it being a lament. It sounds quite nice on harp. Probably even better on tin whistle. I wonder what it would sound like on pipes & drums...?

Jane Williams