Re: Re: Kings of Heortland

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:33:57 -0400

Esculari material in HQ tells me nothing about life in the rest of Heortland. Same with the HQ voices. Don't have Tradetalk 12, so that's a fair comment.

I'm hoping for a nice, ILH-sized book, with what life is like in the 4 Earldoms and how they differ and are similar. What life is like in the cities as compared to the hills. Etc. etc.

I've never felt I've gotten a good handle on it all. After all, Sartar was colonized from there, but the Sartarites had no Larnsti brotherhood, even though the reforms pushing them out had to have been part of (not the only) reason some of these groups left. So who are they and what do they mean to people, exactly? (We just saw this question asked, I'm not intending to rehash it.)

Down in the cities, are people as driven to initiate as they are up in the hills? How Westernized was Heortland by the reforms? How do those two different systems mesh? Etc. Etc.

I've made decisions on all this in my game, of course, but the fact that when HQ says "Heortlander" it really means Sartarite and northern hill Heortlander and doesn't give you any idea of what the vast majority of other Heortlanders are like, is sometimes frustrating if you decide to have your campaign a little south of Sartar.

Look, it's not like there isn't a similar comment to be made on virtually ALL of Glorantha. :) It's a combined frustration and opportunity that is one of the appeals of the place. LC