Re: Digest Number 263

From: Martin Dick <martin.dick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:43:02 +1100

> John Hughes wrote
>
> 4. Clans from Neighbouring Orlanthi Tribes. Most of the time they're not
> important, unless you intermarry with them. Most of them are Storm Tribe,
> but they're a bit strange, and don't know *all* the secrets of true worship
> like you do. Sartar united us together, but that doesn't mean you have to
> like them. Still, they respect Orlanth's Hospitality, so you should extend
> it to them. Raiding and feuding can get serious, and sometimes nasty. When
> it comes to cult matters, or help against broo or Uz, they can usually be
> trusted and become firm allies. Except for the ones who can't.

> Sartar brought the first ideas of Sartar as a nation rather than a
> collection of suspicious and hostile tribes. Now Kallyr is building on the
> same foundation. She has a *very* long way to go.

Personally, I think that there is currently too much emphasis on the divided nature of the clans and tribes in Sartar. I think that this way underestimates the influence Sartar had on the country.

Sandy Petersen considers Sartar to be one of the two or three pacifist superheroes to exist in Glorantha since time began and when we look at the effect of other Superheroes, then Sartar's influence on the Dragon Pass Orlanthi should be profound and lasting.

I'm not arguing that there isn't clan raiding and suspicion any more, but that Sartar and his dynasty did far more in the 100 plus years of being
the princes of Sartar than just bringing the first ideas of Sartar as a nation. I think there is a very strong sub-current of this idea among the Dragon Pass Orlanthi and it is only this that allows Kallyr and then Argrath to organise them to defeat the Lunars at all. IMO, if Sartar is really as divided along clan and tribal lines as many people describe, then they stand no chance at all.

All in my opinion and in my Glorantha, of course :-)

Martin