Re: Hendreiki Kings (omnibus)

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:57:08 -0000

> Which is indeed the case. At that time I was playtesting RQ4 -
Adventures
> in Glorantha, and produced the background for my gaming group
(this Short
> LBQ stuff was intended and IIRC even played as a "get a look at
> HeroQuesting" scenario with - alas - as little decisive player
input as
> the Cradle stuff). Jeff and I shared background notes and material
since
> his group was visiting Heortland, too.

Yep. In fact, I think we were both playtesting RQ4.

> > will be extremely Gregged by any version that ever gets
> > published. We've learned a lot since then - for instance, almost
> > everything we wrote about the Volsaxi turns out to be incorrect.
> Let's say almost every detail.

Sure, that's more accurate.

> > Another thing, after Andrin the Zombie King, the later
Heortlending
> > kings seem a pretty colorless lot. I've thought that they might
well
> > be a lot like the Merovingian kings after Clovis - more
ceremonial
> > than dynamic, with the Pharaoh as the true power in Heortland.
>
> One exception, though - Hardrard the Green, Volsaxi counter-king
who set
> up in Whitewall.

Ah, but Hardrard the Green is not an Andrinic king, he's an old school tribal king. And yes, he is certainly not a colorless fellow. I think most of the Volsaxi kings are more dynamic than the Andrinic kings - but then again, they aren't Pharaonic creatures.

> I think there is no definable border between Andrinic and
traditional
> Heortling Hendreiki. The farther from the royal highway your
people live
> the less Andrinic they will be. That's a rule of thumb, though -
there
> will have been some migrations of clans following the civil war,
leading
> to sharp contrasts between neighboring clans/shires. Think
pacified vs.
> rebel Sartar.

I agree with this.

> Some of our material definitely predates the Seattle Farmer
Collective...

Most of it does. And Owain does not sound Heortling.

Jeff