Re: Hendreiki Kings

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:39:48 -0000

> Full agreement here. Death on a "practice" heroquest while the
hero plane
> is in disorder or even chaos seemed a likely cause for a demise.

Frankly, I think the means of Orngerin's death is immaterial. If it is important for you to have him die as a result of a "practice" heroquest, by all means do so. If it is important for you to have him die as a result of poisoning by wicked Seshnegi or Lunars, by all means do so.

> I think that in Greg's game the King of Heortland died before the
> Tournament. I seem to recall that Rik(/ch)ard was one of the
participants
> (among the final 12).

I think that is right.

> He's a bit in the same position Vingkot was: he had to carve his
position.
> Vingkot was a bastard son of the Storm King, with lots of Thunder
Brothers
> to contest for leadership. I suppose Broyan has one half of a royal
> lineage, too - but then, who hasn't, or at least cannot prove it
> (Argrath...).

Broyan and the Volsaxi not have a royal lineage (the Volsaxi do not have inherited kingship) - they definitely elect their kings (and high kings). Here's some notes from a recent discussion Greg and I had about Orlanthi kingship:

"Vingkot was the first King. He established the principle of dynastic succession and sacred bloodlines. The unearned power of his descendents brought ruin to the Orlanthi and the Vingkotling royal bloodline was entirely destroyed. Heort ended this practice and forbade claims to power based on bloodline. He expanded the rites of Dar the King - instead of a High King determined by Vingkot's bloodline, the tribal kings *elected* Heort High King (who became their freely chosen stand-in for Vingkot). Heort forbade the sons of the kings from succeeding the fathers unless they had earned it. Some kings have tried to reinstate the old dynastic ways, but failed. This is a constant source of conflict within the Orlanthi.

Three types of Orlanthi kingship:

1.  Hereditary kings (Vingkot the King)
2.  Elected kings (Dar) and high kings (Dar/Heort)
3.  Orlanth Rex"

By 1622, Broyan directly worships Vingkot Orlanthsson - that does not mean that he inherited his position as High King. It does mean that his offspring have (at least in his mind) sacred blood and would support the idea of dynastic succession. However, Broyan dies before he can establish a dynasty - and Argrath ultimately becomes his heir.

Jeff