RE: Joining Herobands

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:06:27 -0500

>From: "Jors" <g_merigo_at_...>

>if a character is in a heroband, can he/she join another when the two
>herobands have neutral or common goals?

Yeah, there's a weird disjunct between the instinctive perception of Hero Bands, and what you can extrapolate them being about. We discussed this either here or in another forum not too long ago. But, basically, the impression that I, and I think a lot of people, get from Hero Bands is that you may or may not start with one, and that it's sorta central to the character, and joining others is rare. Making Hero Bands on the character sheets somewhat rare.

But, as Jane points out, if you do the reading, you find that Hero Bands are not just composed of heroes, but of, well, any group of people. Which is not to say that all groups have guardians and thus are technically hero bands. But it seems that perhaps a good number of them are. In fact, from one POV, a group really isn't a group until it has a guardian.

>From this POV, we can see a perspective where a character should have a hero
band for every major association that he has. One for his village, one for any soldier bands he's in or other professional bands, one for any temple that he belongs to that has a guardian (which might be most). Etc. Looking at things from this POV, characters would all start with two, three, or even more Hero Bands, and be joining up with more all the time.

The instinctive POV I like because it means that hero bands are rarer, and more special. The rationalized POV I like because the idea of guardians behind associations is a really neat idea, and just reinforces the character's attachement to the setting.

So I think you have to make some decisions about how common hero bands are and membership in them, and adjust accordingly.

So, to answer your question, either, Yes, you can join hero bands when they're compatible, or Yes, everyone joins multiple hero bands, and you're only prevented from joining those where the agenda would really conflict with yours.

Mike