Re: Those Ker-razy Romans (Was Re: Larnsti Brotherhood)

From: Scott Rogers <amaretto_sirloin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:27:38 -0700 (PDT)

But would this model apply to ALL territories/cults? For example, in our game the Leaders of Sartarite "regiments" would invariably be Carls or Clan Cheiftans, ergo devotees (at least) of Orlanth Rex, while the majority of his men would be thunderous/adventurous. Are subcults a factor in what you are saying? I think the idea is a strong and illustrative one, however it could be limiting when applied. I like the idea of "common cause" fighting forces, where vingans would side with Orlanthi and Humakti, while the Challana Arroy "medics" patch them up as they go. Or am I simply speaking about the wrong side? I do very much like the idea of badges, sigils and ceremonial items though, reflecting achievements and history. In this method, entire Lunar companies could be subdivided into smaller, "closer" and more identifiable "brotherhoods". This I like, for it gives all of us an opportunity to be more descriptive and creative without altering any of the rules, game dynamics or existing lore available to us. (Glorygeeks take note!!).

Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...> wrote: Donald:
> Has the Lunar empire ever not been at war? I suspect if it had a
long
> period of peace many of those units would wither away. Indeed the
> preponderance of provincial units in Dragon Pass implies to me that
> the more populous Heartlands do not have anything like the same level
> of militarisation.

If ever there was a time for Martin to jump in, it would be now -- for he has done a considerable amount of work on visualising how the army might operate, all of it evocative and extensively thought out. I obviously can't post Martin's ideas without his backing, but I don't think he would mind me pointing out a couple of brief points. Martin may have changed elements since; if he has, I apologise!

For more information, do see Martin's piece on the Imperial economy in the UW's 'The Four Scrolls of Revelation' (2002). Where, it might be worth noting, the Imperial Army itself (including Garrison Army and Field Colleges of Magic) account for 60% of Imperial expenditure.

(i) the Provincial Army is sketched as being approximately equivalent to the combined regular forces of the Heartlands (i.e. Heartlands Corps, Cavalry Corps and Imperial Bodyguard) in size. However, the Imperial Army proper is (currently at least), a full and professional body. In the Provincial Army a sizeable number of units possess substantial part-time elements supporting standing cadres; some units are wholly part-time. See the UW's 'Tarsh in Flames' for an excellent example of how this works in the Tarshite army, wherein nearly twothirds  of the battalia is part-time.

(ii) As a gross average, approximately 2% of the Heartlands' satrapal populations are typically available for full-time military commitment; a further 2% or more may be available for part-time commitment (of varying forms). Naturally, some elements of the Empire (the Char-Un, the Sable Riders, Alkoth!) provide *very* different models. In the Provinces, approximately 5-6% of the population is 'under arms'; generally a touch above their comrades in the Heartlands' satrapies.

By the way -- regarding the 'regimental system'; as a militarily educated Brit, I understand what is being discussed, with a view to the current 'definition' as Commonwealth countries view it. It's easy to write and say 'regimental system'; but as Donald says, it's vacillatory in time and space and is pretty much a nebulous conflation of a variety of psychological, social, cultural, demographic and otherwise organisational factors. I wonder if people know what is actually being discussed -- it's not just 'an army with regiments'.

I would beg that if people wish to discuss how the Lunar army might operate, we peel aside the phrase 'regimental system', and perhaps look at some of the base principles behind it, or that have moulded it; especially if it appears we equate the regimental system purely to territorial recruitment.

For example: the inculcation of a regimental cultus, legend and unit esprit de corps; territorialisation, patronage and recruitment (including cantonal, if you desire to go down that route); decentralisation of military training, administration and regulation; regimental proprietorship and military entrepreneurialism; etc. Many of these elements are themselves 'timeless'.

A few big words there, but I'm in a big words mood. :o)

But seriously, my point is that the cult of the regiment is strong in, say, the British Army today; but imagine how strong it is in a magical brother/sisterhood of arms in Glorantha? I'm thus more inclined to use many elements of the 'regimental system' IMG than others might perhaps favour (territorialisation as but one element aside; the Lunar regiments of the army allow and often favour widespread recruitment).

Being able to wear a flower on Minden Day, or a rear cap-badge is one thing; being dedicated to a unique regimental entity and/or guardian that is a living, breathing embodiment of myth, and provides visible magic to its cult/soldiers is another.

This is perhaps losing its direct HQ relevance (unless someone pipes in a game-related mode), so it might be best to move this elsewhere.

Cheerio,

Stu.

Yahoo! Groups Links