Lunar Regiments

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

Friends,

OK, this is actually a subject close to my heart as well, and I will reply to offer some II direction to this.

> (i) the Provincial Army is sketched as being approximately equivalent
> to the combined regular forces of the Heartlands (i.e. Heartlands
> Corps, Cavalry Corps and Imperial Bodyguard) in size. However, the
> Imperial Army proper is (currently at least), a full and professional
> body. In the Provincial Army a sizeable number of units possess
> substantial part-time elements supporting standing cadres; some units
> are wholly part-time. See the UW's 'Tarsh in Flames' for an excellent
> example of how this works in the Tarshite army, wherein nearly two-
> thirds of the battalia is part-time.

Correct.

> (ii) As a gross average, approximately 2% of the Heartlands' satrapal
> populations are typically available for full-time military commitment;
> a further 2% or more may be available for part-time commitment (of
> varying forms). Naturally, some elements of the Empire (the Char-Un,
> the Sable Riders, Alkoth!) provide *very* different models. In the
> Provinces, approximately 5-6% of the population is 'under arms';
> generally a touch above their comrades in the Heartlands' satrapies.

Correct.

> By the way -- regarding the 'regimental system'; as a militarily

Here is how a regiment of the standing army works. Differences between the imperial units and the Lunar units exist.

Each regiment has a central place for admin, recruiting and training and worship. It has a small but permanent staff, partially veterans for training recruits and probably educated local guys for the sissy writing jobs in the HQ. Minor recruiting centers may exist in the surrounding territory, and recruiters may walk the countryside looking for the type of big-muscled not-too-smart guy who would make a good soldier.

These regiments are independent military organizations each with its own traditions, badges, history and often, deity too. Surviving veterans are given lands in the same general areas. Those that are based on local cultures usually have a small and specific base from which to draw candidates. The thousand-plus year old Dara Happan hoplites come from only Dara Happa or, sometimes, specific cities. Eolian slingers have to come of Eol. Lunar regiments, however, structured on the modern Lunar army regiments generally have membership requirements entirely unencumbered by Homeland (although just through nature most of its members come from nearby the headquarters.)

Ancient units are kept active because of their magic. Their accumulated successes over the centuries have accumulated tremendous magic resources for the regimental Guardians. Thus these regiments are generally inflexible, but pack a huge punch when used to their maximum.

> This is perhaps losing its direct HQ relevance (unless someone pipes
> in a game-related mode), so it might be best to move this elsewhere.

Probably best to move it to the Digest?

Game relevance:
When playing in a battle sized game, with regiments and so on as units, these magical options are bonuses acquired through history.

YGWV.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.