Re: War In Sartar

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:25:56 -0500

Gareth Martin wrote:

> > Yes.
> > Except in a heavily agriculturized urban area.
> > Britain, Ireland, Scythia, Sudan, whatever.
>
> Perhaps we have a terminology problem; I can't think of any ancient conflict
> that constitutes "guerilla warfare", which is a 19th century concept.
> Many/all armies have employed irregular units for irregular ops, but I don't
> believe these can be conflated with guerilla warfare per se.

Before this degenerates into a miltary jargon fest, I should point out that the mode of the guerilla is remarably similar to that employed by the Sartarites and Heorlanders against the Lunars. The concept is quite valid, though the _name_ was not used until the Peninsular War.

The entire point of Ian's post was that the irregular and covert operation of this warfare was the main modus OF the resistance. And this has happened time and time again.

And to point out one classic example of the this style, I will say this: the Jewish Siccari & Zealots in the 1st Century AD. They made Judea so unpleasant for the Romans that a _real_ army had to be called in to crush them. And the only way the Romans were able to win was to lay waste to the country. That level of force is not availble to the Lunars -- currently they have other border troubles (and sartar is much, MUCH larger and wierder geographically than Judea was).

Jeff