RE: Re: Winter Animist Practice or Tradition

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:14:24 +1200

At 07:49 AM 6/20/2005 +0100, you wrote:

> > >Except of course in Thunder Rebels, where she is described
> > >as "Another windless winter goddess" and Storm Tribe, where
> > >it says that "Kero Finn
> > >is the mother of several gods of the storm tribe, including Orlanth,
> > >Yinkin, Inora, Quivin and Velhara."

>Peter:
> > Since Kolat, a spirit, is also part of the Storm Tribe, your
> > references are far from conclusive.

>But the quotes above specifically refer to "goddess" and to "gods",

Given that Kolat is listed under "Your Gods" in Thunder Rebels p88 to 89, while Malia, Zzabur, Eurmal, Aldrya etc are listed on the following pages as other gods, it's still far from conclusive.

>not to "member of the storm tribe".

I never said it did, what I did say was part of the Storm Tribe which Storm Tribe confirms. If you are going to pick words with what I say, either do so accurately or take it to the immoderateheroquest list.

Secondly Velhara, is also worshipped by the Grazers as Tara (KoS p109), which would mean that she's a spirit. Furthermore Inora has herself been described as a spirit in Tales #14 in an article penned by in part by Sandy and Greg.

Thirdly even if Velhara was described as a daughter of Kerofin, Brastalos is described as a daughter of Kolat despite Kolat being a Spirit and Brastalos being a God (ST p208). So it does not follow that because Kerofin is a goddess that Inora must likewise be.
>And the list above does not include Kolat.

Never said it did.

>References stand.

Do not.

>Nothing is ever conclusive. But it seems pretty definite that the Orlanthi
>think of Inora as a goddess.

I refer once again to my above exegeses and urge you to take note again of my original stipulation "in HQ terms". One can easily find references to the Invisible God and Mostal being described as Gods but in HQ terms they are still sorcerous entities.

--Peter Metcalfe