Re: HQ to prove identity or not of entities

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:38:15 +1200

At 08:43 AM 6/21/2005 +0100, you wrote:

> > [Monrogh] wasn't heroquesting to prove anything of the sort
> > but to find a way out of the strife between conservative
> > Orlanthi and Yelmizing Elmali.

>Really?

Yes, really. If you want to discuss this in further detail take it to the digest. Your KoS excerpt says nothing about trying to identify Yelmalio with Elmal.

>He HQed to find Yelmalio, and thus "proved" that he was not
>the same as Elmal (or Yelm).

He wasn't trying to prove anything about Elmal's identity one way or the other.

> > Again they did nothing of the sort.

>John Hughes would appear to disagree with you, and he's done more work there
>than anyone else.

I'm conversant with what John Hughes says. The theme of his campaign is the religious conflict between Elmal and Yelmalio, not heroquesting to prove one is the other (which is an impossibility).

> > Nobody heroquested to prove that Yelmalio was
> > Elmal there. Since [Sun County's] foundation, they've always
> > worshipped Yelmalio.

>Ha. Ha. Very funny.

> Come off it Peter, you *wrote* some of the history in
>which they worshipped Somash, and helped with the bit where they worshipped
>Sun Dragon.

But I didn't write anything which said that Yelmalio was not worshipped in Sun County from the very beginning and I haven't written anything which said the Sun Domers thought Yelmalio was Elmal. My statement stands.

>Not to mention the odd few centuries where they were ruled by
>nomads, and all the Cold Sun arguments.

Being ruled by nomads does not mean that Yelmalio was not worshipped in Sun County.

> But naturally, any priest there now
>will tell you they've "always" worshipped Yelmalio - of course he will!
>He's done a HQ to prove it,

No, he hasn't. It is a matter of fact that Yelmalio has always been worshipped in Sun County. This is not dependant on Heroquesting.

> > The Praxian Yelmalio is a spirit called Sun Hawk.
> > Nobody has heroquested to prove that Sun Hawk
> > and Yelmalio are the one and the same.

>Nobody? Ever? How do you imagine you're going to prove that?

Well there is the simple observation that Sun Hawk is a Spirit and Yelmalio is a God. Even a God Learner would not make such a stupid mistake (considering they were in Prax and Heortland demolishes a similar argument being advanced about Inora).

> > The
> > Aldryami Halamalao is Yelmalio but only Elf-Friends
> > actually care about this.

>And that makes it less relevant because?

I don't know your criterion of relevance (considering that you are dragging in everything that has nothing to do with the original statement) so I really can't answer that to your satisfaction. What _I_ was referring to was the complete lack of anything elvish in Sun County (which is primarily due to its Dara Happan origins).

--Peter Metcalfe