RE: Re: Winter Animist Practice or Tradition

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:13:43 +0100

 David P. Summers

> I've been trying to follow this since I play a shamanistic character
> in a Lunar campaign (and, as such, I try and figure out how they
> relate to the theistic Lunars all around).

Sounds like fun: and quite similar to something I'm doing.

> Now I had figured that it was a matter of scale and approach. Gods
> are seperated from spirits by power level and thesitic worships
> accept gods in a master/servant kind of relationshihp while shamanic
> practitioners deal with spirits more as equals. So, to a shaman, a
> god is a really big spirit that ones deals with as one would any
> powerful entitity.

This is how I used to see things, before HQ came out. From the point of view of a Gloranthan, I suspect it's still true. (It had better be - or we have Gloranthans waking up one morning with new ideas in their heads and no idea where they came from. Bad!)

> But here people seem to be saying you can worship spirits as spirits
> and gods as gods and they are entirely different. (What is
> "miss-applied worship", anyway?) But what is the difference?

There's a page or two (or five) of the HQ rulebook, starting around p105, that tries to explain this. With diagrams. Misapplied worship is near the end of that section, p110.