RE: Re: Re: Inora/Whitey

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:45:52 +0100

Chris:

> > Take a look at Heroquest page 110 under "Otherworld
> > Travel and Safety". Let's suppose for a moment that
> > Inora is really a spirit and I am her Heortling
> > worshipper. I want to believe that she is a goddess.

OK. Assumptions made for the purposes of this discussion noted, and quoted so we don't lose them later.

> > I travel to her otherworld home. It may be
> > immediately obvious to me that this is a false home
> > because, unlike Orlanth's Halls, "such locations are
> > troubled, subject to attacks by demons and monsters."

ROTFL! Possibly not the best example to pick. But I see the point you're trying to make (and possibly we don't need another 30 posts arguing about the number of monsters around Orlanth's halls - it was an example, right?)

> > Even if it is not, I can test my hypothesis that she
> > is really a goddess by traveling outside her false
> > home, where I will suffer a -20 on my Soul Vision (so
> > everything around me will be difficult to see, unlike
> > when I am on the GodPlane);

LC:
> OK, if your version is the case, how can any misapplied
> worship last for
> any length of time? The first time anyone makes a serious HQ to the
> otherworld, they will find out they are wrong.

Yes, this was what I was wondering.

> From what I can see,
> misapplied worship is almost never a case of "we know she's
> not really a spirit, but we don't know any other way to worship".

Because people *do* know other ways to worship. Concentration is rare, we're told.

> Misapplied worship
> seems to always describe the entity as being, in fact, believed to be
> something other than it is. (i.e. -- the Entire Aeolian Church).

Yeah...

I wonder if this Concentration thing is part of the explanation? How much of Chris' explanation relies on the worshipper being a concentrated theist? That alien worlds modifier - if you're not concentrated, is it alien?

P198 - looks like it's relevant, but the other way round. If you're not concentrated, all Other-worlds are alien, but the HeroPlane (usually) isn't. Implying that the HeroPlpane isn't an Otherworld, which is rather confusing.

Yes, you can concentrate as as misapplied worshipper, but it won't do you any good in terms of HP spend. But Gloranthans don't know the numbers...

Dunno. I think I've got about half the explanation here, but only half.