RE: re: Lunar Regiments

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:27:22 +0100

> I would doubt that many non-DH units are unchanged, but I wouldn't
> underestimate the age of some units of the modern age.
>
> The Swiss Guard today are obviously very similar to the unit that was
> formed hundreds of years ago, but consider the Royal Navy, seeking as
> they do to ensure that the guardian spirit of HMS Ark Royal continues
> to keep the fleet safe over the centuries.

As far as I know, HMS Victory, "the oldest commissioned warship in the world", is still the flagship of the Channel Fleet. Despite being in dry dock, and with zero chance of ever leaving it. Keel laid in 1759, Google tells me.

But no, units that even exist over thousands rather than hundreds of years, much less exist unchanged, are rare even in Britain. I know we like to tease the Yanks about how you think 100 years is a long time, but there are limits even for us :)