Re: Nasobeme - Tyrannasus Imperator!

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:08:37 -0000

Bravo, Keith! I applaud your dedication to nasobemology! Perhaps Issaries should run a 'Draw a Nasobeme' competition?

As an artist and nasobeme-fetishist myself, I would suggest one concerns oneself less with anatomical correctness, but more with *sheer nasal dynamism*... and implied proboscial menace (if remotely possible). Apart from the sensuous mouth, of course, though that may require frequent cold showers. Indeed, those strangely-shaped beasts made out of balloons by strange men at children's parties probably provide a good artist's model.

For the benighted souls of the HQ generation who know not the wonders of the Nasobeme, I give reading to the bible of strange monstrosities and terrors:

"'Nasobeme' means 'nose-walker,' and nasobemes, indeed, walk on their noses (of which they have four!). These strange beings have long balloon-like bodies, and are slender and upright in posture, but invariably they 'stand' upside-down, to the startlement of onlookers.

"A nasobeme has four half-meter-long, prehensile noses arranged in a row across its face. The noses work on air pressure, and when a nasobeme moves, the noses hiss and squeak. When hit, the nasobeme also squeaks, its body changes shape, and its eyes bug out.

"The hind legs are short, thin, and clawed. The forelegs are long, thin, and clawed. The tail is long and tipped with a venomous sting. The head is somewhat human-like, though quite broad and flat, with bat-ears. The mouth is sensuous* and thick-lipped, with sharp teeth."

Elder Secrets of Glorantha, Secrets Book (1) p. 25; by Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen, (c) Chaosium Inc., 1988.

*whoah, there folks! I'm starting to feal uneasy...

Cheerio,

Stu.