Re: Jar-Eel's cult

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:39:43 +1200

At 07:55 PM 6/29/2005 -0700, you wrote:

> > So far we know of only three superheroes in totality. Jar-Eel, Harrek
> > and Androgynous. That's the top of the scale of things that walk the
> > earth.

>No, that's the top of the scale of people we see currently. People in past
>ages certainly *did* get past the 10w4 "Superhero" stage - Sheng was more
>than a "mere" 10w4 superhero, so was Teelo Estara, before she ascended to
>become the Moon. So was Yanafal Tarnils, Etyries, Queen Deezola and all the
>other Lunars that went gone from mortal to "God".

I assume that Superheroes are 10w4 refers to what they are as of 1621. When Harrek goes his circumnavigation epic, he becomes a wibble-5 and that when he kills JarEel, both are at least wibble-6s. But the strongest person ever to walk upon glorantha might be Zzabur who is at least a wibble-9.

A slightly better (time independent) definition of Superhero IMO might be whoever is able to be a challenge for Harrek.

>And those three you mention are only in one small corner of the world. Who
>knows what Superheroes there are in Kralorela, or the West, or Pameltela, or
>the Isles?

This argument has been around before. I think the presence of three superheroes in tiny dragon pass is an indication of Big Things happening there. Elsewhere during the Hero Wars, the rule might be one Superhero per large empire or equivalent. Thus Ralios gets Arkat, Loskalm gets Lord Death on a Horse, Kralorela might be Can Shu and so forth.

--Peter Metcalfe