Re: Re: Humakt

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:25:44 +0000

> From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
>So, someone with a personal moral code can still be a psychopath.
>As Thom is an academic psychologist, I stand corrected!

Its not my area of expertise, though!

>I don't understand you distinction between 'social sense' and 'duty'.
>Isn't 'duty' a socially imposed norm? And isn't 'morality' too?

This gets into ethics. I'd say if you follow a code out of "duty" it isn't a question of morality (following Kant, I think, who argued that we should obey God's laws because God is good, not just because he is God).

>Is a Humakti's 'honour' related to having a social conscience?

Not necessarily.

>Would it be true to say that members of ANY cult could be
>psychopaths?

Definitely. Even Chalana Arroy, IMO. (Assuming that initiation doesn't weed out these people).

Thom

P.S. Jeff thought this was getting off topic, but I'm not sure.