Re: Orlanth cares

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:10:22 +0000

> From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
>However, such religious cults and political organisations share deep links,
>and in most cases a political action and a religious action will
>actually combine into one single action.

One take on it might be that Orlanth has no free will. So how do Agents of Reprisal work? I think they could work in at least three main ways (not mutually exclusive):

  1. being an initiate means signing up to certain fixed rules, which once transgressed invoke Agents of Reprisal (e.g., initiating to a chaos cult for Orlanth initiates)
  2. being an initiate means signing up to set of moral, religious values, when you depart from them you invite these Agents of Reprisal (e.g., via feelings of guilt)
  3. these moral, religious values are defined by your clan, culture and so on. Agents of Reprisal are fueled and directed by these people. This could be directly/consciously (e.g., where a godi calls on the agents to manifest) or more commonly indirectly/unconsciously (e.g., good Orlanthi asking from protection against disease might call Agents of Reprisal down on a stead or clan which is sacrificing to Malia).

Thom