RE: potatoes and pizza

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:10:46 -0400

On Mon, 2005-04-07 at 07:42 +0100, Jane Williams wrote:

> LC:
> > But they are called pizza pies. Even without a top crust.
>
> ?? Where? By who? Never heard of that one.

Probably a North American thing. They certainly were called Pizza Pies when I was in school. (We had a mnemonic device for remembering the planets of the solar system: "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza-Pies". The first letter corresponds to each planet in order. You know, this reads as very Lunar right now.)

Also, the song "That's Amore" still has the reference. ("When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, That's Amore.")

> > > And looking up the etymology of the word "pizza" is not helping :(
>
> > I thought it had to do with the word for "bite" or
> > "mouthful". (similar
> > to pita) I know the word itself dates back at least a millennium.
>
> Although in at least one language, meaning "mountaintop" :)

Yes. I saw that. Peak or point.

LC