Re: Immortals vs. 'Heroes'

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:43:45 -0000

a fantastic set of questions that piqued the sage to elucidate some fascinating, and fundemental facts about Heroes/ Superheroes/ Immortals. Nice one Charles (oh, and thanks Greg!)

However, it now looks like Blood Over Gold is going to beat ILH2 out of the blocks. I hoped for a crimson summer after Tentacles (such is my understanding of publishing, surely rated at 6!), but my guess is now we may have to wait till sep/oct at the least. Now, thats a damn shame.

Also Runequest in Glorantha is going to be resurrected. Or is its journey analogous to the red goddess when Teelo (RQ3) had its throat cut by Danfive Xaron (Avalon Hill), and now as RQ has completed its journey through the underworld it is set to rise again, possibly taking a chunk of Heroquest into the air with it, and hanging there in the middle air like a bloated glowing crimson game, preceeding the conquest of the roleplaying genre (like it did in the early eighties).

My only concern is who is going to write for the new game and will it diert Gloranthan resources from Heroquest, the game of epic myth and storytelling, to Runequest, the game of attack/parry/attack/parry ad infinitum, ad nauseum, and gritty realism (realism? Hmmm, not convinced - I actually think HQ is better at modelling that except for missile combat which has yet to be adaquatly addressed IMO)

Oh, and I note Dragonrise is not yet on the Radar. I know its not right to be so impatient and there is the creative process/ review/ re write and all that, but come on! Next summer (if we're lucky) seems like a very, very long wait for the next installment of the saga.

You hear on these lists all the time that folk are actually starting their campaigns earlier and earlier, as no one wants to get caught out by another fimbulwinter.

Anyway rant (and bad humour over!)

Always the best Regards
Rob