Re: Female power in Esrolia and the Empire (was Holy Country)

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 19:55:32 -0400

On Wed, 2005-06-07 at 14:19 +0000, donald_at_... wrote:

> Great Sister is not a mortal hero any more than Moonson is,
> she is the feminine aspect of the Red Goddesses humanity
> just as Moonson is the male aspect (see ILH1 pg.48).

I wasn't entirely clear about one thing concerning that. Did she manifest at the same time as he did? She's been unchanged since the rise of the Goddess?

> I don't think there is much likelyhood of an Empress because
> that would unbalance the Empire - the female elements of
> rulership reside in Great Sister.

So why has Great Sister never been declared Empress? Obviously there is some reason for this. It could be as simple as the Yelm/DH elements and rituals of Rulership don't allow it.

> Warning: this idea is not supported by any canon I know of.
>
> I started thinking about where this idea of a female rulership
> and equality came from in the Lunar Empire. It's clearly not
> Dara Happa or Carmenia, so it must come from one of the other
> major cultures. Now the Red Goddess was born in Torang which
> is a Rinliddi city so I suggest that the Rinliddi tend towards
> sexual equality. I don't think it's a matriachy like Esrolia
> but one where work is shared irrespective of sex.

It certainly isn't a matriarchy according to ILH1. In fact, it's a Yelmic religion of sorts. It might be more softened, to read the description in ILH1. They have a "Pecking Order" but it is less rigid that DH codes. I'd guess it is still fairly patriarchal, but probably less so than the Dara Happans around it.

> Do we have a canon reference for this sacrifice of Husband/
> Protectors? I'm not altogether sure it fits.

You know, that's a good question. Do we have a canonical reference for this? In Tarsh, the sacrifice seems to be a side effect of the powerful Maran cult. But that is the center of Maran power, near by the Shaker Temple. Is there any reason for what is primarily an Ernaldan cult to have a standardized human sacrifice ritual? (Or is that really just a very common Earth Tribe thing, regardless?)

LC