Re: Distances between settlements

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:41:39 +1000

At 11:15 PM 7/07/05, MHolmes wrote:
>If you can't regularly
>get to other villages, your populace is going to get genetically odd fast
>(which explains, I daresay, some of the peoples of the Appalachian Mountain
>region in America where, in fact, it might be more than a day's walk from
>place to place).

  Or, as an extreme, villages in New Guinea that are a few km apart, but on both sides of a ridge. They are so far apart in travel time they not only don't know each other exists, they have different languages, as different as Basque and Chinese. It's an environment where if you want to get to the other side of the ridge, you have to travel all the way down to the coast and back up again on the other side, a journey of over 100km through some of the toughest jungle terrain in the world.   Now, /there's/ distance... ;)

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_...

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.