Re: Fohn

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:48:38 -0000

Jane:
> A wind goes over a mountain and gets changed by it... that sounds
so
> mythical it just has to happen. Storm God (male) ascends mountain
> (female), gets handed weapons to beat up snow and ice (Vadrus?),
does
> so. One assumes the mountain disliked snow and ice. And it sounds
like
> there was an alliance with the Fire Tribe there to provide heat.

Slight tangent: we know the Urox Wind blows from Prax, and Prax is not exactly always a chilly place, but this would take it over and through the peaks and passes of the Storm Mountains.

There are several tales pointing to not a little mythic volcanism in the area, with Urox bullying Vestkarthen and Stormwalk into quiescence. It wouldn't surprise me if some clans attached the particular heat of any Urox Wind not to its origin (Prax), but to the idea that Urox came from the east, clashed against their edifices, stole their heat, and then plunged down to the west.

Heat + Wind interactions in volcanic myths offer some littletravelled  paths, from the concepts above to the volcano god who steals a little of the wind god's blustery breath to nurture in his gullet (promoting explosive eruptions and plumes). I've been playing with a few of these for volcanic climes.

Cheerio,

Stu.