Re: Digest Number 265

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 17:30:17 +1300

Martin Dick:

>Me> I don't recall Sandy ever saying that Sartar was a Superhero. A
> > pacifist hero, perhaps, but Sartar isn't the same calibre as JarEel
> > or Harrek.

>It was in a conversation with Sandy at Gloranthacon DownUnder in 98,
>so my recollection might be a bit off, but I commented to Sandy, that
>Glorantha was dominated by martial Superheroes such as Harmast, Arkat,
>Harrek, Jar-eel, Sheng Seleris and there didn't seem to be much
>emphasis on the peacemakers and were there equivalents to these.

Harmast isn't a superhero either and I have grave doubts about whether Sheng Seleris can properly be called a hero at all.

>His reply was firstly there was Sartar and secondly a female character
>from Pamaltela who he definitely called a SuperHero who went about
>a made peace between four warring groups by giving all of them
>what they want and that the peace had remained from then on. For
>the life of me I can't remember her name.

Elamle-Ata. He's said she was a superhero before but he's never said anything about Sartar being one when he was on the Glorantha Digest.

>To the best of my memory, he definitely equated Sartar and
>this other woman with Harrek and co.

I really have to doubt this. If Sartar was a superhero, then he would have a _much_ wider influence than the Quivini nation that he creates. Look at what Harrek gets up to. He visits almost every place on the lozenge. JarEel has already done dramatic things from Eastpoint to the Red Lands to the Holy Country and there's heaps more to come. Arkat lays waste to half the continent and is probably a second prophet of sorts in Safelster. Harmast has done the Lightbringer quest twice which Sartar only has partially done. Sartar just quite simply isn't in their league.

--Peter Metcalfe