Re: The Unity(?) of Sartar

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 17:47:26 +1300

Martin Dick:

>I agree that Sartar the country was not a modern country in any real
>sense, but I don't really see the Princes as being largely ritual. As an
>example, the roads and Boldhome alone imply some form of centralised
>authority for the Prince.

Look at the Sartar description on p153 Glorantha: Intro for the origin and maintenance of the roads. They were magical in nature and so Sartar could do without any centralized road-making bureaucracy.

>I also think institutions such as the Jonstown Library indicate a
>significant level of cooperation amongst the tribes. To build and
>maintain such an institution would require significant resources
>and is unlikely to be sustainable by a single tribe.

But it is sustainable by the tribes that make up the Jonstown confederation.

>Are there any situations where the Prince of Sartar calls for the tribes
>and large numbers don't come? I can't recall any offhand, but my memory
>is not quite as good as some others on Gloranthan history.

Sartarite history is quite turbulent. The Elmali clans refuse to aid Jarosar. The Maboder refused to fight for Boldhome during the invasion of Sartar. A Colymar King is noted as having fought the High King.

--Peter Metcalfe