Eurmali Plausible? (was Re: Eurmali)

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:36:18 -0000

> In the Seattle Farmers Sartar game, why are the Colymar letting
Beti
> Leika keep a dangerous lunatic in her hall circa 1614? And why does
> she want one?

It is the prerogative of kings to keep Tricksters. We know Leika has heroquesting ambitions - witness her Crown Test in Snakepipe Hollow. Having a Trickster makes such heroquests potentially easier or more rewarding (albeit more dangerous).

> Certainly for the Lightbringer's quest and a few other rituals
> described in _Storm Tribe_ (e.g. scapegoating), Eurmali appear to
be
> useful. Are all of the four tribal kings you listed doing one of
these
> rituals? If not, they are asking their tribes to support a full-
time
> sociopath for no payoff.

Tricksters can be usefully in scads of Orlanthi quests - you just use Trickster magic to change the rules, do the impossible or the outrageous, etc. If the king has ambitions of heroquesting - or wants to be able to threaten such a thing - then having a Trickster is probably required. It is also a sign of status and wealth.

> > At least until they betray
> > you.
> Exactly. Again, how can _any_ rational tribal king like Beti Leika
> keep a ticking time bomb around, when her community won't even put
up
> with Kolati shamans outside the wildlands?

Because the rewards (status, magic, power) are thought to be worth the risk.

Jeff