RE: Re: Improv. Feats.

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:15:03 +0100

>>YGWV, but this depends on the game. The rules say that only devotee's
>>can improvise new feats off of their affinities. This specifically
>>excludes initiates, and is a specific benefit designed for devotee's.

I think the two kinds of improv might be being confused. There is the 'improv from an affinity' that only Devotee's do, where the player makes up a feat, gets it approved by the GM and branches it from the root stock of their affinity at -5 or -10. Then there is 'improv by stretching or otherwise abusing an ability' that everyone can do, whereby the player offers up an ability as being applicable to a contest and the GM pushes back by requiring an improv penalty to reflect it being used out of its sweet spot. In this latter case, feats known to an initiate are abilities and they can be nerfed by the GM if the player tries to apply them in unusual situations.

I guess its possible for a hard-nut GM to impose an improv penalty upon an improvised feat :

                "The best you can come up with in the heat of the moment is the &FEAT that &YOUR_DEITY performed when they were assailed by &ENEMY_DEITY, but that's not perfectly applicable to the matter at hand so take a -5 from your Affinity to rate the feat and a further -10 on the feat rating as a situational penalty."

Regards
Luke