RE: Magic systems and the nature of Glorantha

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:40:41 -0500

>From: "Charles Corrigan" <charles_at_...>

>2 - Mysticism is not what _anyone_ thinks it is(*) - there will _never_ be
>a workable set of mysticism rules.

Your argument seems to be that no rules can create a sensible character philosophy, and I'd agree with that. But the fact is that the rules have never attempted to do this. Take Theism, because it's well known - what rules enumerate the philosophy itself? Basically it's your character's relationship to the god in question, and his knowledge of the myths. Those ability ratings don't give you any details of how the character knows the god, or what myths he knows. Just how well applying that relationship to a contest will affect things.

So I don't think that mysticism will have to do what you're asking it to do, either. Instead I think it'll just have some relationship to enlightenment ability rating, and some rules for what magic this allows you to do (which I think would be from a special non-otherworld otherworld). Doesn't seem particularly hard to me.

Never say never.

Mike