Re: Digest Number 2185

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:05:14 +0200

Charles:

> 2 - Mysticism is not what _anyone_ thinks it is(*) - there will
> _never_ be a workable set of mysticism rules.
>
> Roughly paraphrasing Greg's description of mysticism (whether RW or
> Gloranthan):
> "This world is what we can see, hear, touch, taste, smell and feel.
> The other world is those things that are but are not in this world.
> The mystical is that which is neither in this world nor in the other
> world."
> By definition this is a paradox - which can only be resolved by deep
> meditation, not something that farmers, merchants, warriors or
> adventurers have much time for or, for that matter, much inclination
> towards. And the resolution of the paradox is different for each
> being that approaches the paradox.

Making up game rules for this could work IMO, but on the other hand is pretty meaningless, as it is very unlikely to ever be used in play.

> My understanding is that the only interesting stories about mystics
> are about those that failed (can I mention Sheng Seleris...) and
> then, for a time, wield extra-ordinary power. But their power is
> understandable in the context of the 4 existing systems.

Pretty much right, but I think there are two very different variants of failed mysticism. Sheng Seleris, Akorgat worshippers and others are deliberate failures, who abuse mystic ways to get great magical powers. But, in the vast time since great mystics like Mashunasan, I think there have evolved schools which are not failed or abusive but have accrued a number of misunderstandings which give them magical powers. These are useful in normal life, but ultimately detrimental when it comes to reach the mystic goal. I think martial arts schools, mystic alchemists and the like are found in this category. The magic would then come in theist, animist and wizardry form.

> Teshnos, Kralorela and the "mystical" East of Glorantha are
> certainly influenced by mystics and the path of the mystic is
> admired by most as the best, most pure, path to Transcendance. But,
> in the meantime, they have to feed their children, keep the village
> safe etc. And the best route to this is through one or a mix of the
> four existing HQ magic systems.

Absolutely, the practitioners of true, pure mysticism are extremely few and the debased form I posit above is still uncommon compared to "normal" religion.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams