RE: Re: Magic systems and the nature of Glorantha

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:53:49 +0100

Rob (on Pavis County):
>>A fine setting, but a bit old school with adventurer bars and
>>treasure hunting in ruins. I'd be interested how you use it. Will
>>you be posting notes on the web anywhere?

Oh yeah, very old school. Lotsa treasure hunting adventurers, lotsa bars (mostly run by retired treasure hunting adventurers...) but also some nice stuff for my ongoing benchmarking exercise, like sample contests for the Duke Raus mini-campaign and a bunch of worked up PC types who are members of the Grey Company and similar. Its been fun to read and I'll put the other P & BR stuff on my 'to get' list for deep background (I need to finish the Griffin Mountain reprint from Moon Designs before I can justify any further books though).

I'm undecided as to whether I'll be using this stuff in-game anytime soon -I'll prolly opt for a 'baby-steps' game based on a Heortling Sartari clan when I finally take the plunge and hold the Lunar Heartland, Praxian, Pavic and Balasaring materials in reserve for future arcs if the campaign goes well. A lot depends on what my players want to do of course and to what extent I can commit to the sort of big campaign I feel Gloratha deserves. As and when the game starts then I will be using the internet to pull things together certainly.

Rob:
>> I started with the begining adventures and found that a lot
>>of concerns melted away once I started playing.

I'm aware that this might indeed be the case, but I'm also conscious that I'll probably only get one shot at selling the game to my group. I did a short run of sessions using HQ mechanics for a Pendragon campaign I've been running off and on over the years and got a somewhat mixed reaction - a couple of guys really liked the mechanics, but a couple were decidedly dubious - so I need to be certain that I'm up to the mark going in so that the game isn't handicapped by my poor presentation.

Rob:
>>I would suggest you enforce a house rule that means that theist
>>characters with common magic cannot take their common magic as feats
>>which means that when they concentrate on theist magic they lose
>>their common magic. This rule breaks down in Teshnos however!!

I'm not sure as I'd go that far (I like the idea that some heroes will just be fortunate in their circumstances and thus get an optimal-per-the-rules starting setup; I just want to have some good counter-arguments to underpin my 'Yes but', 'Tell me how' or 'You can try' responses), but I'll certainly be houseruling extensively; ideally in advance of the campaign starting.

Rob:
>>I quite agree. I would not like to play a game where I thought the
>>Narrator was 'making it up' as he went along!!

It can work I think. But its not right for everyone. And its *definitely* not right for a couple of my players.

Regards
Luke