RE: Digest Number 269

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 19:10:07 +1300

Philip Grawe:

>Ok, I'll bite. Who is Hon Holbiktu ?

A Doraddi hero who brought down the corrupt Six-Legged Empire (aka the God Learner Duchy of Kolar) at the end of the Imperial Age.

>I've always assumed a Hero is someone who has made their own Heropath
>through the Godplane (or whatever plane). ie. Someone who has taken
>the step from Ritual Heroquesting to Experimental Heroquesting.

I think that one can make their own heropath through ritual heroquesting (it merely requires that you encounter something new and deal with it) and that most heroes are of this sort. Experimental HQ is a quicker way to be a hero but also more dangerous.

>While we're at it, is there a more detailed definition of a Super
>Hero, other than "More Powerful than a Hero" ?

The only statement is RQ2's description of the Infinity Rune:

         "He who posesses the infinity rune is almost a god himself.
         This is not used lightly as it implies total control of the
         power flow around the user making him invulnerable to almost
         all magic, among other abilities.  It's characteristic of
         gods, superheroes and dragons only."

Since then Greg seems to have taken the position that a Superhero is a bigger hero and that the infinity rune was a "game rule measure, and not a cosmic secret" while Sandy still thinks there's a qualitative difference.

--Peter Metcalfe