Re: Lunar Common magic

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:02:30 -0000

[A.S. Many thanks to Theo for the kind words!]

Andrew:
> One possibility that may help here, at least with the missionary
cults,
> is misapplied worship... Does this sound reasonable?

I'm very much a sucker for this, for two reasons:

(i) I'm a great proselytiser for the idea of Yanafali acting as missionaries of the Red Moon in many cultures (not the least warlike and honourable), so the particular example used has got me.

(ii) I love misapplied worship. I can't explain why, nor know of any cure. I know some have problems with its ideal and execution. But I can't seem to create a 'cult' etc. without it being misapplied in some way. I have absolutely no idea why...

But seriously, the idea of missionaries culturing misapplied worship of Lunar entities (with all the bizarre idols, localised ceremonial, etc.) as a prelude to indoctr... conversion to the full Lunar Way is an idiom that is happily taken in my Glorantha.

I'm not suggesting that this progression of worship is necessarily formulated or planned in any systematic form, but the steady conversion of foreign cultures might often take a path that approximates misapplied worship --> proper worship of the Lunar Way in game terms.

There are so many facets and gateways to the Lunar Way, and so many cultures to be Included, that I'm happy this form of conversion might occur in not a few.

Funnily enough, when I wrote Yanafowl Tarnbill, I very nearly said his cult was misapplied theistic worship of a Lunar entity (tricky, as I couldn't really imply too much of ILH-2), but dropped it though spatial considerations given the A5 format.

Cheerio,

Stu.