Re: Pacifist heroes

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:32:14 +0100

Martin Dick:

> It was in a conversation with Sandy at Gloranthacon DownUnder in 98,
> so my recollection might be a bit off, but I commented to Sandy, that
> Glorantha was dominated by martial Superheroes such as Harmast, Arkat,
> Harrek, Jar-eel, Sheng Seleris and there didn't seem to be much
> emphasis on the peacemakers and were there equivalents to these.

There is a difference at least in degree among the martial heroes mentioned. For example, Harmast looks a lot more "constructive" in his approach than Harrek...

> To the best of my memory, he definitely equated Sartar and
> this other woman with Harrek and co. To my mind, Sartar's
> accomplishments definitely put him up there with anything
> Harrek achieves, different spheres but comparable.

The difference between hero and superhero probably lies in the number after their Ws, which means it's a gradual scale anyway.

But, there are more pacifist "heroes" in Glorantha: eastern mystics. Nenduren spread an aura of peace around him that made people stop fighting. Mashunasan did destroy Oorsu Sara, but not through action. And looking at the hero-superhero scale, Harrek would not be able to harm him.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?